LOOPS RETREAT 2018
Join us for our first-ever Loops retreat, February 1-4, 2018 at Loops and the Doubletree Warren Place Hotel in Tulsa, Oklahoma! It's been 13 years in the making, so you know it's going to be amazing!
You'll experience three full days of learning and inspiration with some of the hottest teachers on the planet! And there will be lots of time for connecting with fellow Loopers from around the country...meeting the Loops Troops...and of course shopping at Loops. We'll have a special retreat Marketplace set up with new and unique yarns, dyed exclusively for this event.
We've included everything for one low price - classes, hotel room, meals, and an EPIC swag bag! Cost for double occupancy (you share a hotel room) is just $995 per person, and single occupancy (you have your hotel room to yourself) is just $1175 per person. We are offering a 3-part payment plan for each option - 1/3 deposit, 1/3 charged a month later, and 1/3 charged on 12/1/17.
Now without further ado...meet our fabulous teachers!
Andrea is the genius behind the "fade" epidemic that's sweeping the planet! After leaving her life as a pastry chef to start a family with her husband, Andrea's hands found the necessary freedom to begin creating with fiber instead of flour. She focuses on designing knits to fit the modern wardrobe – fun to knit and easy to wear. Andrea has a great love for indulging in new techniques and skills and then sharing them with other knitters thru her patterns and workshops. Her goal is to leave knitters feeling empowered and inspired, and wrapped up in their own beautiful knits! Find her at www.dreareneeknits.com and everywhere else as DreaReneeKnits!
At the Loops retreat, Andrea will be teaching the following classes (your first choice to be honored where possible):
• Beginner Brioche - Learn how to knit super squishy brioche and open up a whole new world of texture, colorplay, and fun with this addicting stitch! This class will focus on learning brioche knit and brioche purl stitches.
• Advanced Brioche - When working brioche in two colors, a whole new world of color play is opened up to you! Discover how to blend colors and add depth thru contrast. We will also discuss using different fibers and weights together to really mix things up. Learn how to increase and decrease in brioche, and how it goes far beyond just shaping your fabric, to create the appearance of intricate cables and lace.
• Color Confidence - In this class we are focusing on exploring techniques that allow us to use color in new ways...giving us more confidence to bring new colors into our wardrobe! We will play with color melding, two color brioche, and marling. We will discuss how to boldly choose color and to listen to our intuition.
ROSEMARY (ROmi) hill
Romi Hill lives on the eastern slope of the Sierra Nevada mountains in Northern Nevada, where the high desert nights are cool and the air is clear and crisp. A lifelong crafter and knitter, she is inspired by the natural surroundings in her corner of the world, and her designs have an organic flow. Romi’s lace book from Interweave Press: New Lace Knitting was published in September 2015 and features timeless patterns for garments and accessories. She loves dark chocolate with chili peppers, and she’s a sucker for a great pair of cowboy boots. You may know her from Knit Stars 1.0, where she taught a full course in lace and beading!
At the Loops retreat, Romi will be teaching the following classes (your first choice to be honored where possible):
• Lace 101: Beginning Lace Knitting -Students will learn the basics of lace: how to read charts, tensioning laceweight yarn, size of needles to use for different results, good cast-ons, tips and tricks, and basic lace construction.
• Knitting Lace with Beads - Learn about different types of beads and ways to use them in your lace knitting. We will do a lace swatch with beads and then cast on for Celaeno, a lacy beaded shawl.
• Lace & Cable Surgery - In this workshop, not only will we discuss techniques to avoid mishaps, participants will learn how to rip a section of lace (or lace and cable) back and knit it up row by row without having to rip the entire project out.Students will be given charted knitting homework to be prepared prior to the class.
By day Carson, a physical therapist and author of Knitting Comfortably: The Ergonomics of Handknitting, operates an award-winning ergonomics program for a San Francisco medical center. Every other moment he's knitting, spinning, designing, teaching, or otherwise up to some fiber fun - always with a watchful eye toward ergonomics. His passion and experience in fiber arts combine with his expertise in physical therapy and ergonomics to create a unique skill set that he eagerly shares with the fiber community to keep us all creating healthfully - and comfortably - ever after.
At the Loops retreat, Carson will be teaching the following classes (your first choice to be honored where possible):
• Knitting Happily Ever After: Ergonomics for Knitters - Ever known a knitter who hasn’t said, “Just one more row”? Me neither! I’ll bet they’ve also complained of aches and pains while knitting. In this class, you’ll learn how knitting effects the “fabric that makes the fabric”- your body, and see how your knitting technique impacts your efficiency and productivity.
• KnittRx - Knitting is not a “no pain, no gain” activity. Yet many of us take better care of our favorite stash fiber than we do the fibers that allow us to knit—our bodies. Tired muscles, sore joints, and aching backs and necks needlessly plague too many knitters. This class will teach you fun ways of “fiber care” for the most important project you make—YOU!
• Swatchbuckling - Avast ye maties! Let’s bring improved ergonomics to life in your knitting technique. We’ll swatch to improve your posture, comfort, and efficiency. We’ll examine yarn tensioning techniques, and all phases of stitch creation first with simple then more challenging swatches and stitches.
A beautiful setting for relaxing, restoring and knitting!
The DoubleTree Warren Place by Hilton is conveniently located right across the street from Loops! It is recently renovated with modern, elegant guest rooms and beautiful meeting space. It is surrounded by lovely, treed grounds that are perfect for strolling.
BONUS: MEET THE KNIT DOCTOR, ANN BUDD!
In addition to receiving three 3-hour classes (one class with each teacher listed above,) you'll have the opportunity to sign up for a one-on-one, 20-minute session with our "Knit Doctor," Ann Budd. She'll help you with anything that ails you, from taking measurements and choosing yarn to finding your place on a piece gone wrong and fixing mistakes. With more than 40 years experience she's seen (and corrected) almost everything! Appointments will be available on a first-come, first-served basis.
Once you have enrolled in the Loops retreat, you will receive an email on or around October 1. This email will include information on signing up for classes and making an appointment with the Knit Doctor. Be sure to add "firstname.lastname@example.org" to your address book to bypass any spam filters!
A note about cancellations: Should you need to cancel, we will give a refund sans $100 admin fee before November 30, 2017. No refund will be given after November 30, 2017; we will, however, send the fabulous swag bag to you after the retreat.